MEETING: City Council – September 18, 2018
TITLE: Consider an Ordinance of the City of Duncanville, Texas, approving and adopting a budget for the City for the Fiscal Year October 1, 2018, through September 30, 2019; providing that expenditures for said Fiscal Year shall be made in accordance with said Budget.
BACKGROUND/HISTORY: As required by the City Home Rule Charter, Section 4.02, the City Manager and Staff have prepared a budget for Fiscal Year 2019, following workshop meetings on June 20 and 21, 2018, and July 19, 2018, at which City Council provided input and direction on the budget. The proposed budget was presented to City Council in a workshop meeting on August 9, 2018. A public hearing on the budget was conducted on August 21, 2018 as required by Duncanville Home Rule Charter Section 4.04 and Local Government Code Chapter 102.006.
POLICY EXPLANATION: Section 4.05 of the Duncanville Home Rule Charter states that the Council shall adopt a budget for the next fiscal year at least 10 days prior to the fiscal year end.
RECOMMENDATION: Staff recommends approval of an Ordinance of the City of Duncanville, Texas, approving and adopting a budget for the City for the Fiscal Year October 1, 2018, through September 30, 2019; providing that expenditures for said Fiscal Year shall be made in accordance with said Budget.
Motion: I move the proposed budget for the City of Duncanville for Fiscal Year October 1, 2018, through September 30, 2019; providing that expenditures for said Fiscal Year shall be made in accordance with said Budget, be adopted. This budget will raise more revenue from property taxes than last year’s budget by an amount of $1,340,938, which is a 8.43 percent increase from last year’s budget. The property tax revenue to be raised from new property added to the tax roll this year is $170,561.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FY 2019 PROPOSED BUDGET
The FY 2019 Budget as proposed, includes the following significant items.
• A proposed tax rate reduction of $0.01, reducing the ad valorem property tax rate from $0.758447 to $0.748447.
• An increase of $1.0 Million over historical levels of funding in the street maintenance budget.
• A compensation adjustment for full-time, non-civil service employees of 3%, and a pay range adjustment of 5% for Fire/Police civil service employees, to remain competitive in a very tight job market.
• A reduction of $721,868 in fleet replacement contributions among all funds.
• Ability to fund $2.6 Million in one-time projects from excess fund reserves accumulated from prior years and from predicted FY 2019 excess fund reserves. This includes $1.6 Million allocated for replacement of aged and leaking roofs at several City facilities.
• No proposed increases for water, sewer or garbage collection rates for FY 2019.
• Funding of $6,226,000 in Capital Improvement Projects related to water and wastewater line replacement, water and wastewater project construction design, water storage tank rehabilitation, drainage improvements and street construction design projects.
COUNCIL ACTION: Approved by Council. None Opposed.